Grade 6; £42,302 – £46,723
Full time, permanent position
The London Waste and Recycling Board is looking for an energetic and technically skilled Business Advisor to work with small/medium sized businesses across London as part of its award-winning SME business support programme, Advance London.
The Business Advisor will be part of an organisation making a significant contribution to the Mayor’s ambition for London to be a leading low carbon, circular city. They will provide technical, environmental and business growth advice to a wide range of innovative startups and SMEs, with a strong focus on packaging, acting as the organisation’s technical lead for analysing and developing packaging solutions. The role is also responsible for supporting and growing the organisation’s network through events, workshops and other engagement activities.
Advance London’s mission is to ‘make the circular economy everyone’s business’ by helping businesses in London launch new circular products or services, scale up and create ‘green’ jobs. Since it was created in 2017, the programme has supported more than 200 SMEs to redesign the way they do business, validate their approach and amplify their impact. It is co-funded by the European Regional Development Fund and the London Waste and Recycling Board. Learn more about us and the programme here: https://www.advancelondon.org/.
London’s diversity is its biggest asset and we wish to ensure our workforce reflects that diversity at all levels. We welcome applications from everyone regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, faith or disability, and actively encourage applications from BAME individuals who are currently under-represented in our organisation.
Who you are
You are a developing consultant with a strong drive to implement innovative ideas and ideally will have worked with small/medium sized enterprises (SMEs) before. You are looking to contribute and develop your expertise towards a mission that you believe in. You are a proactive independent worker and team player with the ability to advise businesses from a wide range of sectors on sustainability and circular economy topics. You are detail oriented and able to think creatively in identifying challenges and potential solutions that would resonate with the circumstances and challenges of a small business. Working with a spreadsheet gives you joy and you feel comfortable in using excel for quantitatively modelling impact. You are excited about fostering collaboration opportunities across different supply chains. You are comfortable with building upon relationships with existing partners and stakeholders, as well as identifying opportunities for new businesses and partners to scale up and expand the outreach of the programme.
The core role is focused on providing thorough technical, environmental sustainability advice to a wide range of SMEs, operating in different sectors who are considering adopting or scaling up circular business models, and will include:
- identifying and engaging with new London-based SMEs
- assessing the business needs of enrolled SMEs and identifying potential for impactful support from Advance London in collaboration
- providing high-quality technical advice to SMEs (e.g. market research, carbon foot-printing, life cycle assessments) including the production of support summaries for allocated SMEs
- designing and developing advisory toolkits (e.g. scorecard of environmental certifications, impact calculators, training tools) and knowledge sharing materials
- compiling technical factsheets on various topics that relate to the wider SME audience (i.e. on circular packaging options)
- taking ownership of the circular packaging support stream and driving development of the programme in this sector, including networking with key relevant stakeholders
- supporting in business development by attending/presenting at relevant events
- designing and delivering circular economy related workshops
- ensuring that advice and support provided is compliant with programme and ERDF guidelines
- using your network to reinforce our activities and develop valuable new relationships to promote circular economy principles
What we offer
When you join LWARB, you become part of an organisation that is involved in cutting-edge and innovative projects and programmes, addressing the climate emergency and shaping the way we live and do business in London.
We provide a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being.
We believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you to reach yours.
To apply please send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9.00am on Monday 2nd November 2020 using “AL Business Advisor” as the subject of your email . Please indicate in your submission where you saw these positions advertised.
If you would like more information on either the role or the team, please send an e-mail to email@example.com marking it FAO “Ms Natalia Agathou”.